Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Reflection Feb 17

Know that I have a Facebook page for my website, I am trying to figure out the best way to post interesting articles. I think I am going to try to write a script that takes the top article on the BBC and the top comment and post them together. However, I doubt I will get to doing that. For now, I will be posting articles by hand.

In terms of the application, I have decided to write the application in Ruby on Rails. The benefit to using this scripting language is that I will not have to write a lot of low level code. Ruby on Rails is designed for web applications like the one I am creating. Thus, instead of having to writing a lot of HTML, CSS, Javascript, and PHP (each languages that are relatively complex) I will just use Ruby on Rails, and everything will be self contained.

I have realized how hard this will be. Although I am not new to coding at all, there are a lot of differences between Ruby on Rails and the other languages that I writing this program will not be easy. I have downloaded a bunch of books about rails, and I plan to read these over break.

One problem I have been thinking about is how to import articles into the application without breaking copyright law. I might have to keep a live view of the website in order to keep the article intact. However, when I go to launch, I plan to talk to a lawyer to ensure I am not breaking any laws...

No comments:

Post a Comment