Thursday, April 2, 2015

Final Blog Post

1. On a scale of 0 to 100 (from zero effort to the most effort you possibly could have given) what would you rate your effort level on your 20% Time Project?
95. I did a TON of work outside of class, and I learned a bunch about programming and the process of creating an application which was what the purpose of the project.
2. In what areas (research, planning, blogging, executing, presenting) have you given more effort or less effort? Why?
Blogging. I really dislike doing the blog posts, and while I talked a lot about what I learned, and what I was doing, I didn't do a lot of reflecting which sort of defeated the purpose.
3. What are you really proud of from your 20% Time Project?
Definitely that I was able to create the design for something that actually works. It took me so much time to adjust all of my settings and code to get it to look good enough to present
4. What motivated you to give the effort level that you did give?
Self motivation. I have always wanted to do this project, and having the 20% time opportunity allowed me to start it, and gave me time to work on it.
5. If you could go back and do the project over, are there things you would try to improve? Are there things you wish you'd done, that you didn't do? Ways you could have pushed yourself to raise the bar even higher?
I wish I had better budgeted my time. I had my schedule set to release the final on April 1st, which obviously is simply not feasible. I should have realized the amount of time it takes to code something. I also wish I had taken the time to create a workflow and psuedocode for the application so that I could make sure that everything would work. However, I was really focused on having a product, so I skipped some important steps.
6. What was the most challenging part of this project for you?
The immense amount of work that is required to take an idea and turn it into an actual marketable product. I didn't realize the amount of background processes that go into an application. I wrote around 1500 lines of code just to make the page that is live for one news article. I will have to write thousands more to make it a universal application.
7. What have you learned about the project-planning process?
As I mentioned before, I didn't realize how much time it takes to do certain tasks. I overestimated a lot of things, and didn't give myself enough time in my schedule, and it made me feel like I was behind.
8. What in this project has made the biggest impact on your learning? Why?
I really learned a lot about how to do a presentation for a Venture Capitalist. I did a lot of research, and found the structure and format of how best to sell an idea.
9. When you consider the rest of your life, what percentage of what you learned during this project do you think will be useful to you? Explain.
75% I learned a lot about how to take an idea to production. If I go into computer science this will be incredibly important, and a great skill to have.
10. If you could turn back time and do this project again, what would you do differently?I think this is a repeat of question 5
11. What advice would you give students who will participate in this project next year? 
Budget your time appropriately, it's better to have too much time than too little
12. What is something I could do in the future to make this project better?
I didn't enjoy the reflection portion of the blog, I think that it should be about the process and how the project came together
13. What grade would you give yourself for the quarter? On what main factors do you base that grade?
95 I haven't fallen into the trap of senioritis and I am proud of that. I am taking 2 classes for honors, and 2 UVM classes, even though it doesn't matter how advanced my classes are for college.

No comments:

Post a Comment